I’ve made a nice groove in the couch while sitting on it the last 36 hours waiting for John Calipari to wake up! Well, the saga is over. Coach Calipari is heading to Lexington. Good for him. It’s a premier job, he is exactly what the Cats need, he’ll win, and it’s great for college basketball when Kentucky is relevant. They are once again.
Anyway, here are some names to ponder (not in any particular order) while listening to the national pundits quote their sources on who the next coach might be:
– Mike Anderson: Find out what his buyout clause is worth (maybe as worthless as Coach Cal’s) and find out what it would take for him to bolt. I believe he’s the best hope for keeping players and maybe one of the incoming players. He is the man that beat the man…. TWICE!
– Andy Kennedy: Nice guy, from the South, great coach, overchieved with his talent, recruits Memphis already, and comes to a basketball school. Since Memphis already screwed up the Ole Miss football series, might as well steal their coach to leave no doubt they’ll never play. Plus, he’s familiar with the conference.
– Sean Miller: Might excite the smart basketball fan, but not really a splash I’m looking for. Besides if Jamie Dixon leaves Pittsburgh, Miller would probably be first in line.
– Tim Floyd: Boring. From the South, has had success in minor conference’s, but hasn’t succeeded in the tournament. Has probably underchieved at USC.
– Josh Pastnor: Obviously a good recruiter, or he wouldn’t be on Coach Calipari’s staff. He helped recruit the incoming recruits, he’s familiar with the system, and he’s familiar with the current players. If you go young and cheap, he might not be a bad choice.
– Steve Lavin: Too far removed, but loves the Memphis program. I like him as a coach, but he might be too far removed for any high school kids to remember him
– John Lucas: Very familiar with Coach Calipari’s system, attended a lot of practices, good coach, but like Lavin, too far removed.
– Larry Brown: The Tigers and Grizzlies have already almost had him. He can’t be enamored with Michael Jordan getting more involved at Charlotte, and he’s ALWAYS willing to listen.
– Reggie Theus: Flashy personality, did a great job in a short stint at New Mexico State, and failed in the NBA. Name me a good college basketball coach who didn’t fail in the NBA! Besides Larry Brown.
– Anyone Fred Smith wants.
This hire should be the biggest hire RC Johnson makes. I’m a little disappointed that a deal isn’t already in place. There isn’t much time before the national scribes and talking heads call Memphis a dead end job. Some have already claimed that. They need to be proactive instead of reactive. Although, that’s not how the Tigers have operated things lately. I believe RC’s hires have worked in football, basketball, and baseball, but the school is at a crossroads. A bad buyout and personal feelings are keeping a football team mediocre. A horrendous buyout and clauses in player committments could potentially destroy next basketball season. How is Coach Calipari’s buyout $200,000? HE’S ONE OF THE HIGHEST PAID COACHES IN HIS PROFESSION! Did they believe they would always keep him? The stadium fiasco has never had a good plan or thought process. The Big East left Memphis out and they’re stuck in a garbage conference. RC….. it’s time to make the right move QUICKLY, or you can just borrow Mitch Barnhart’s hot seat that he doesn’t need anymore.
Come join me at Tunica National this Thursday from 3-4 for Mid South Golfer the Radio Show with Bob Wolcott and Jimmy Darr. It’s the most comprehensive golf show in the Mid South. Plus, at 5 is the three person scramble. Make sure to qualify early for the year end Tournament of Champions. Call 866-Tee-Off-1 or 662-357-0777 to register.
There’s plenty happening this month in Tunica. For a complete list of events and attractions in Tunica, Mississippi, click on the link below. Get easy access to the casino’s, golf courses, and all other entertainment.
Here’s a sneak peak of what’s coming up in Tunica:
Trigger Proof » 888-245-7829 / Stage Bar @ Goldstrike
Dates: April 01 through April 04
Charlie Daniels » 888-245-7829 / Gold Strike
Date: April 03
Greg Redding and The Memphis All Stars » 800-871-0711 / Hollywood Casino
Dates: April 03 through April 04, April 10 through 11
Gabby Johnson » 888-245-7829 / Stage Bar @ Goldstrike
Dates: April 07 through April 17
Bang! Fighting Championships-MMA » 800-456-0711 / Sam’s Town
Date: April 11
STYX » 800-303-7463 / Horseshoe
Date: April 11
Creedence Clearwater Revisited » 800-456-0711 / Sam’s Town
Date: April 17
Earth, Wind & Fire » 901-525-1515 / Harrah’s
Date: April 23
Josh Turner » 800-303-7463 / Horseshoe
Date: April 25
Talk to y’all this week.